Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Odd & Ends


Nothing huge accomplished today. The sheetrockers FINALLY finished hanging the "rock" and another crew swooped in to clean up the leftover dusty chunks (sound familiar Jackie?) Thankfully, the HVAC vents in the floor were double covered although I wouldn't be surprised to find some of the fine dust in the venting when it's finally turned on. Tomorrow, the "tapers" arrive.

My new neighbor, Nonie, and I took her dog, Chloe, on a walk throughout a large swath of Uptown today. She's already besotted with PT - usually doesn't take long! As we walked over by 523, three police officers were there cleaning up after a wreck at the corner. One of the strange aspects about PT roads, particularly Uptown, is that there are some intersections that don't have any stop signs. Apparently that was what was responsible for today's wreck. I stopped to talk to one of the officers in his cruiser and Nonie & I later spoke with another. I had some "road questions" to clarify as these were not the type of questions on the driving test. I couldn't get over the politeness and friendliness of these men. Upon hearing that Nonie had just arrived, one of them made sure we were aware of PT's various restaurants. As we walked off, we remarked that neither of us had ever had a conversation like that with a police man/woman. Another side of living in a small town...

I'm finishing the "beam list" for the house tonight so that I can place the order tomorrow. Also, the door hardware list is now ready to go as well. By the end of the week, I should have everything ordered except possibly the upstairs carpeting but that's "easy". It will be nice to have that portion of my responsibilities completed so I can know we're on the downward slope.

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing how having walls, or almost having walls, makes the house start to look livable, such a big step.

    And congratulations on being just about done with all of your decisions...it's such a relief to "check" those off the list, frees up a lot of brains space! Happy taping! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still cleaning plaster and drywall dust Lili, and expect to be doing so for some little while. Everytime the AC comes on, it blows it all out of the ducts...nothing to be done, but keep dusting!
    There is nothing quite like small town life. As much as I enjoyed all the big cities we have lived in, the closeness of people in a small community is really what we all need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica - what's amazing to me is how the two different floors feel so different now - in size. They warned me that after the sheetrock was up it would feel smaller - upstairs does, but downstairs doesn't. Strange - same ceilings both places!

    Jackie - There must be some gadget on "As Seen On TV" that could solve this problem - they solve every other problem on the planet! So agree about small town life - there is community here, but I do miss Dallas too, surprisingly (but not the blast furnace that it is in the summer!)

    ReplyDelete