Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Saturday in PT



The sun couldn't make up its mind today. Sunny - cloudy - sunny - cloudy. And a little windy as well. I'm attaching a photo of two sea gulls taken down by the ferry. I called the one on the right "Mr. No Neck" as he had compacted his body as much as he could in a standing position (he was sitting until I pulled the car a bit too close for his comfort level...) to ward off the winds that were causing the small white caps on Admiralty Inlet. I'm sure people on the ferry were "enjoying" it as well. There's a YouTube video of making a choppy crossing which the posters refer to as a car wash from all the waves hitting their car en route. A bit of history - before I moved up here there were bigger, older ferries serving the PT - Whidbey Island route. Upon one of their routine inspections, it was determined that they were not sea-worthy and were pulled immediately from service. That left the ferry system scrambling for a replacement which was found in a small ferry that Pierce County apparently had "extra". It has served the route while two new replacement ferries are being built - one to be delivered this summer. While larger than the current boat (or is that "ship"?), they are still smaller than the old ferries. But I believe everyone is looking forward to the first shiny new replacement - "Chetzemoka", named by a PT elementary student after a local Native American chief. I grew up in Oklahoma where there was quite a Native American presence but the names in Oklahoma - towns, counties, etc. - can't compete with the great names up here. I'm still trying to get my pronounciations even close!

While downtown today, I got to see the Artisans on Taylor window which had been featured in the newspaper earlier. AOT is a great little gallery - Sam found a piece there which is now in his office - and their windows are never to be missed. The dress's skirt is made of old copies of The Leader, piles of which surround the train. I loved it - but wish I'd also captured the windows which earlier featured wire tiaras. They were so unusual and colorful. Every girl should have one! Barbara - you know who they'd have looked good on?

Hope your weekend is going well...

No comments:

Post a Comment