Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Back Again...






Well, I'm back. 523 has changed little to the eye but yet it has had constant work since my last post. I'm going to post quite a few photos this evening to try to show you what has happened at 523 as well as around town.

The dormer window FINALLY got shingled! It really changed its personality. You can see to the side that a small portion of the wall next to the fireplace remains unfinished. I asked the guys about this today and they said they knew I wasn't going to like it, but that was the area that would have to be cut open to allow the sheetrock to go in the second floor. They were right - I didn't like the sound of that but they assure me that it will be structurally sound.

The next photo shows the terrace side at the back of the house. It's now moving along since the replacements for the french doors finally arrived - in the right color!

The guys went home HOT today. I know, I know - today's 72 does not make Texans think of "hot", but it was! A nice hot. One I could even appreciate. I just heard the Seattle weatherman say it might be time to put your jacket away. From what I've heard, that may be a bit premature as people have been known to attend the 4th of July in a jacket. The story is that summer starts here on July 5th. Yesterday, we had the strangest weather. I kept hearing the ferry's fog horn blaring in the background well into the afternoon. I finally discovered the reason - FOG. On a stunningly beautiful sunny day! There was a thick, white bank of it covering approximately half the Strait of Juan de Fuca - the route the ferry takes to Whidbey Island many times each day. Apparently it isn't totally unusual - Pete described it perfectly to me when I asked him about it today. Wish I'd captured it on "film"!

After a quick stop at Aldrich's, I went to Chetzemoka Park for more photos. Chetzemoka was a Klallam chief & granted permission for the Port Townsend settlement. The new 64-car ferry to be delivered to PT in August will bear his name. While I've been there a couple of times before, today I really roamed its 10+ acres. It's not a large park, but it sits right above the Strait. Also, I'm adding a photo of the raspberries I found on the bluff. Hmmm... in looking closer at the photo, they appear to be blackberries, but in person I'd say raspberries! As I was leaving, I saw Bear's twin out taking a stroll through the park with his owner. I thought of how Bear would LOVE to walk through Chetzemoka - it's hard to keep your shoulder in its socket when he's on a walk. After Chetzemoka, an orthopod might be in order!

I know I've said it before, but the air smells heavenly up here - just like Vail's. As I sit at the little table where my computer resides, I have a soft breeze coming through the open window & the sweetest serenade by the birds outside.

I'm off for a walk through the neighborhood...

3 comments:

  1. Nice to have you and your house back Lili...missed you darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, welcome back! The house continues to look wonderful...can't wait to see more pictures!

    The weather here has been so confused...but today was great...warmth! Those are blackberries I believe...they're red when they're babies. Hope you had a nice walk... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie & Jessica,

    So good to hear from the two of you! I missed our "conversations" about our houses & their current status.

    You're right, Jessica. The weather can't make up its mind. But the last two days were heavenly & I think more are to follow now. And I agree - they are blackberries. I may have to sneak back to Chetzemoka with a pail at dusk to do some picking - yum!

    Thanks for your "welcome backs"!

    ReplyDelete