Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Now the neighbors can see...




how wonderful the shingling is! The first two completed walls were where no one could see them from the street. When I got to 523 this afternoon, Mark was shingling the front wall. Now the house is starting to truly show its personality. What I keep forgetting to post is that the shingles will eventually be stained. In Texas, we usually didn't stain wood - it was painted. So I'm shocked at the coverage a "stain" can have. The white trim is a stain & it appears to have paint coverage to me but it won't flake off. Fade eventually? Yes, but flake, no. Having lived in a house with painted shingles in the searing Dallas heat, I'm glad to know that I won't be dealing with perpetual maintenance again. The shingles have to "cure" before they can be stained, so they will be au natural for awhile. The shutters & window boxes will have to wait as well. Here's one for you, Dottie, showing your son at work. Also, some photos of Jim & Mike working on the long side wall as it gets closer to completion.

A beautiful day today - I hope yours was as well!

6 comments:

  1. We had to cure our shingles for a while also...and when the stain went on, it was BLACK...that also has to cure, so prepare yourself. I was shocked at first but it really didn't take that long for the color to calm down, now it's perfect!

    Your home is looking more and more charming everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is cruel not seeing your house! Can't wait to see your finished shingles.

    Thank you so much for the warning! One less fainting on the planet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shingles look like feathers Lili...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lili...the big green dumpster and the Honey Bucket *just* left the premises...they've been hindering the taking of exterior pictures (at least nice ones) for a very long time, sitting right in the front of our house for four years and the back still has equipment blocking the house...but, I promise to post exterior pics soon!
    The weeds are a mile high (we need some goats) but I will try none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,

    What's a "Honey Bucket"?

    Four years? I obviously don't have the history of your house down yet! I keep hoping each week that I'll have some time to sit down & read your & Jackie's blogs slowly with a cup of tea from the beginning. Do tell...

    I just said two days ago that I'm going to have to take a scythe to the back yard! Thankfully, most people can't see it!

    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Lili for the photo of Mark. BTW did you know what an accomplished baker he is. Ask him for a slice of his homemade bread . No bread machine , oh no, just strong hands to kneed.

    ReplyDelete