Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

meetings, meetings, lots of meetings




Every day we get a bit closer to some decisions. Today Pete & I went to meet with the man who will be doing the cabinetry to "fine tune" his wonderful plans. From there we went to meet with a local artist who turns wood - we were looking at newel posts & balusters for the stairway. Along the way, Loren came back today and the tile man & his son showed as well to review the work to come. This was in addition to the roofers, electricians and the guys. It was VERY busy at 523 today. I'm posting a photo of a new wall being shingled as viewed from inside the dining room and a photo which shows the new contrast color under the gables. I think it's a much better "contrast"!

And it rained. I love the rains up here - the locals are tired of them already but they're so gentle, who could complain? No thunder or lightning in P.T. yet. I hear those are very rare. There was a Wednesday market today but again it was pretty soggy. I'm posting a photo of one of the vendor's offerings - yum. But that didn't keep people from coming. When I got back to take today's photo, Pete & Candy were walking back from looking around in the rain - but appropriately attired. As we stood outside 523 talking - getting progressively more soaked in my case - Pete remarked that I was becoming a Northwesterner since I didn't have an umbrella up which I took as a high compliment. I looked like a drowned rat when I got back to the place, but how gorgeous the plants will be after this soaking!

BTW - Washington state law changes tomorrow. No talking/texting while driving without hands-free. I don't have that operating, so if you call, leave me a message if I don't answer - I'm probably on the road and don't want a $124 ticket!

6 comments:

  1. You're doing great Lili!!! You'll be the decision queen before long if you already aren't!
    A friend came over the other day to tour the house and all of a sudden stopped and realized that every square inch that they were looking at was a decision...every sqaure inch! They nailed it (no pun intended). It still amazes me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lili...you and Jessica are my construction heroines. Our house was at drywall stage when we bought it last year, so our decisions were only on finishing, and even that was colossal. I can only imagine how overwhelming it is from the ground up.
    On another note, if you need a little distraction and a leap forward to decorating, pop over to Razmataz and have a look at her Vintage Country Kitchen...it all looks SO you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,

    I never thought of it that way! And as a result, I'll never see MMM (my new code name for 523) the same way again!

    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie -

    What a FABULOUS site Razmataz is! Her terrace is almost exactly what I'd already pictured for my garden!

    As to her kitchen, you may be shocked when you see mine. No uppers. Open shelves of distressed wood held by iron brackets on a rock wall. Beamed ceilings. Antique pastry table for an "island". We'll see...

    Waiting (and waiting...) for rock samples so I can then pick a countertop (I fell in LOVE with an onyx but the $ & the care will make it impossible) and cabinet finish. I call it the "domino situation". One thing decided (rock selection) allows so many other decisions to flow thereafter!

    Can't wait for the house to be completed so I can become a professional blog reader as you've shown me so many incredible ones, starting with Jessica's!

    Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jackie!

    I think when you are building and creating from the heart...the decisions mean so much more and you just want them to be perfect and everlasting. In the end, it's worth it, even though you feel the need for a 6 month holiday at the end of it all! ;)

    Lili...I can't wait to see your kitchen...sounds uniquely fabulous! Best with your counters...we took quite a while searching for ours. Check out Crocodile Rocks in Kenmore, they had a great selection...we ended up getting ours from Pental but Croc was our second choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JESSICA!!!

    O.M.G. - Crocodile Rocks is JUST what I've been looking for! Unfortunately, their prices probably aren't... But I HAVE to go there to see their selection. Good thing no one was around when I went to their website - I was gasping at what I saw! The onyx on their "front page" is the one I fell in love with at Michaelangelo's! And their marbles are gorgeous as well. I've had marble in a kitchen - know their many pitfalls, but love the extra color possibilities to choose from. My countertops are so minimal that I may have a tiny leeway to work with.

    What a gift you have given me. One of my main frustrations with this house is that I don't know Seattle and its resources whereas in Dallas I knew exactly where to go for these items. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for sharing this with me!

    Lili

    ReplyDelete