Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Back Gable & More







I'm doing something I usually don't do - include town photos in addition to the daily progress photo of 523.

Today, the guys are working on the gable in the back of 523. Pete said the roofer should be here next week to top the house - should I get a Christmas tree or is it too late? I believe the Christmas tree is supposed to be displayed when the tallest part of the structure is completed - and we all know that's the chimney. Didn't have my thinking cap on... The steps had their forms removed so the concrete work is now largely finished.

When I was out & about today, I stopped by "Main & Akard" in Uptown. After picking up prints & visiting Jeanne's for a moment, I found these darling kids sitting outside Aldrich's in the same place where I'd earlier found the Westie featured a couple of days ago. They were about to go play T-ball & were so excited - showing me their team t-shirts & as I walked off, they started singing a rousing rendition of the Alphabet Song. Simply precious as I think you'll agree after seeing their shining faces.

Across the street, in front of Jeanne's store, was a cellist out playing for the neighborhood. This is a weekday, obviously, and not when I'd expect to hear the usual weekend music. His playing was beautiful and it's just another example of how the arts are visible and valued here.

When I drove off from "Main & Akard", I noticed what everyone was talking about. Chairs are already lining Lawrence for the SATURDAY Rhody Parade - I'm including 2 photos. It's much like I was once told happens at the Masters Tournament - once a chair is set, no one disturbs it. I've been told the parade is 3 hours long! Today's Leader has a list of the participants - all 93 of them - so it's no wonder it's that long.

And my last photo today is of EXACTLY what I saw yesterday (but didn't have my camera with me to record) - a tug-like boat with a batch of logs behind it with a Navy frigate (I THINK it's a frigate!) across the bay at Indian Island.

I've been told all this activity is just warming the town up for the summer season. I can't imagine if this is a warm-up. I'll fill you in as I learn all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment