Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

WHEW!







Better get a coffee, drink or a cigarette - this is going to be a long one!

Started the day with a visit to the PT Farmers' Market. This was the first day of its season and it was ASTOUNDING! PT has two farmers' markets - one on Saturday (the larger one) and one on Wednesday. It has been said that it is the most successful farmers' market - per capita - in the U.S. I got there when it was fairly well underway and checked out all the booths. I was a bit frustrated because due to VERY limited refrigeration/storage at my rental, I really can't buy yet. The KALE was gorgeous - see the photo! They have organic meats, cheeses, veggies, breads as well as plants, ceramics, soaps, flowers (see photo!), a woman actually spinning yarn at a spinning wheel, live rotating entertainment and as many happy people as I've ever seen. The market is only one block from 523 - basically out the doorway and around the corner. In a couple of months, watch out! I can't wait!

You can tell that this is the start of the "season" here - everyone was out with their pooches visiting and smiling. This is a true community. As I rounded the first "lap", I ran into Tamara (my architect), Joe & Ciara enjoying their outing there as well. Then I ran into Maddie & Sky, some of my new next-door neighbors. You will see their photo trying out the wooden furniture for sale at the market. Later I ran into their parents & their sister, Jasmine as well. My yummy purchase today (and it will be EVERY Saturday until they close for the season!) was the Cape Cleare freshly grilled salmon sandwich - warm grilled garlic ciabatta, field greens, homemade tartar sauce & Cape Cleare's FABULOUS salmon. Another version adds a grilled egg - it seemed to be the hands down favorite of the long line that was always in front of their booth. Cape Cleare is a wonderful community member - donating a huge whole fresh salmon to the Co-op for weekly raffles. You see them frequently in the neighborhood on bicycle making deliveries.

From the market, I went to run a few errands for the house then stopped by downtown where the end of the boat parade was just occurring (see photos). Today was the beginning of boating season & they had a long parade in the harbor. LOTS of boating enthusiasts out today, including a couple in period costume. PT has an active historical society & they're great about attending events in costume. Lots of skullers out with huge grins on their faces in spite of being a bit pooped I imagine. The Northwest Maritime Center, a $12.8 million achievement for this small town, just officially fully opened about a month ago. People were enjoying its location & vantage point for the boat parade as well as the sunshine.

I walked through downtown and again think I've seen a glimpse of what PT will be like this summer - except in a small dose today. LOTS of people from in AND out of town, based on the license tags I saw. There was a small cruise ship docked at the end of one of the piers. I spoke to some of the crew & they said they stopped in PT twice in the spring and that it was always a huge hit with the passengers (and teh crew apparently from their glowing talk about it). They sail of out Seattle and have excursions to British Columbia as well as Alaska. Took a brochure...

Spent some time at Jeanne's looking for the elusive fabric for the new furniture I have to order. Always enjoy that because I meet so many new people while there. Jeanne's is a hub in Uptown - it's simply a magnet for the locals. Even met a couple last night who were also building in Uptown - they bought the lots that I tried to buy before 523. We laughed when they told me they were glad I wasn't successful in purchasing them. I'm glad too - the view there is spectacular, but it's not the neighborhood that 523 has and my view isn't too shabby either! They're lovely lots overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca and I know they'll be happy there. They moved here from San Francisco, having first visited PT when their son lived here a couple of years ago. They knew immediately they wanted to live here and are now doing it.

This evening, I went to the monthly Gallery Walk with Nancy, Carl, Nancy's cousin Nancy Anne who is in from Washington D.C., Travis (their son) and Jasmine. Lots of people were out and there was an abundance of live music on the sidewalks as well. From there, we "oldsters" went to a movie at the Rose Theater - Ajami, which was nominated for an Oscar for Best Foreign Film. Quite confusing method of telling the story, but it kept your attention in spite of being utterly deflating.

And I never had time to attend the last School of Athens lecture of the season today. The School of Athens is a philosophy lecture series here in town. Today's speaker, Elaine Pagels, is a professor of religion at Princeton and the holder of MacArthur, Guggenheim, and Rockefeller Fellowships. As an author, she has won the National Book Award.

Why am telling you all this today? I guess because I continue to be amazed at the level of activities that PT has for its small community and visitors. And I've been told that this is only the beginning...

7 comments:

  1. Hi Lili...Victoria here...(Jacky's sister).
    I can't believe the progress on your house...it really looks fabulous!
    I love the chimney. It was great to read all about PT...I am going to drop by one of these days to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne -

    HURRY HURRY HURRY HOME! We're counting the days until you get here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria -

    I'll be looking for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew indeed! I have total market-envy...ours haven't opened yet, although...coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that Farmers M is the BEST. My mouth was watering for a Cape Clear Salmon treat. Mark's boys and I roamed that area every Sat I visited. Thanks for the reminder and commentary. Dottie (Mark's Mom from Chicago)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dottie -

    You have to come by 523 the next time you visit Mark & his family to get the tour! You have the most darling grandsons!

    ReplyDelete