Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Parade Day















Uptown just had a festive air about it this morning. Joan & I went out to the Antique Company to check on a piece for 523 (already sold) and then headed back into town along with all the other traffic we had seen previously flowing toward the parade route. We walked the area before the parade started to get an up close view and then settled into our front row seats in front of Jeanne's store. For the next two hours we were royally entertained by participants from less than one year to well into their 90s. Since this was the 75th anniversary of the Rhododendron Festival, all the old Rhody queens & princesses were invited back to participate and many did, including a still-local princess who is now in her 90s. Lots of old cars, lots of horses, a FABULOUS bagpipe corp from Tacoma, tons of public school bands. Apparently the Kinetic Sculpture Festival is a huge local favorite as well and they were a popular entry today with their Octobus. Forks, made famous by the "Twilight" movies, had an entry hyping their 4th of July celebration. Something I need to investigate was the Three Cups of Tea group - promoting the building of schools in Afghanistan. Perhaps this was a local chapter to promote the building of even more schools? A favorite from the 80s - the Road Warriors - had a bit of a reunion & performed as well. While they were a bit scary looking (intended), the crowd loved them. Nancy's oldest son, Mike, was lead singer today. I saw him later & told him I'd be a Road Warrior tagalong next year. He humored my joking since he's such a great guy. When I got back, the mirror told me that I hadn't put enough SPF on, even though I thought I had lacquered it. But since half my face is red, I obviously wasn't thorough enough.

The gang went out to Jeanne & Art's for a bonfire tonight. I cancelled as I'm creaking but will rejoin them at some point tomorrow.

Such a great week of events. Such a great little town.

2 comments:

  1. I know those pirates!!! They're usually on their funny pirate-boat-truck-car thing! So fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? You know them? I can't remember which float/ride/etc. they were "attached" to...

    ReplyDelete