Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Monday, May 3, 2010

A Bit Quieter, But Still Busy


I almost forgot to post - I've been catching up on the things I usually do on weekends that didn't get done and lost track of time.

Today started early for me in view of how late I was up last night. Last October, I purchased tickets to a series here for the National Theatre of London. I had mentioned it last night & Nancy Anne (Nancy's cousin in from D.C. for the weekend) said she might like to go as well. I had forgotten that I had purchased two tickets so away we went back to the Rose this morning to see "The Habit of Art". The National Theatre records their plays in HD about a week before showing them in Port Townsend at the Rose. I wondered why the big gap - I knew there would be some due to the time zone difference, but today it was explained for me. While the play itself is in real time (much like "24" without the advertisements), they do have some extras that the real audience (yes, we even got to see them & they waved at us) does not see. The real director was interviewed on screen outside the theatre near the Thames and they also gave us historical background about the characters in the play - WH Auden & Benjamin Britten - who were quite successful in creating operas together for many years until one failed miserably, which destroyed their working & personal relationships. We also saw the actors during intermission & what they were doing with their down time. QUITE interesting & the play was very good as well. The Rose also simulcasts the NYC Metropolitan Opera live in HD with repeat recorded performances later to allow everyone who's interested to attend, as one performance can't accommodate everyone.

After the play, I went to see one of PT's newest hotels. "Boutique hotel" must have been created for this one. The Clam Cannery was just what the name implies - a clam cannery in the late 1800's. The new owner remodeled it for condominium sales - unfortunately at a very bad time, as we all know. So he's turned it into a small hotel. It sits out over the water which gives you an incredible view of the bay and the finish-out is top of the line - glass door Sub Zero refrigerators, copper vent hoods in some, huge flat screen TVs, granite bathrooms, etc. I was quite impressed by what I saw.

From downtown, I headed next door to 523 for a birthday celebration for Nancy Anne at Nancy & Carl's. There were about 18 of us - I got to meet many of the people Nancy's been telling me about over the last couple of months. Even though it was raining, Carl went outside & grilled hamburgers without any grumbling whatsoever. Actually, he was quite cheerful about it! We had a great time & I know everyone thoroughly enjoyed all the food - the table truly was groaning. I may have been replaced as "the" baked-bean chef by Nancy! Travis also entertained us with some of his short action movies he's been filming as well.

It's been raining most of the day which I've enjoyed - as with all parts of the country, we need all the rain we can get when we can get it. The dry season will be here soon enough.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment