Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Gables Anyone?


Today Mark & Patrick worked on the beginning of the gable treatment in the front of 523 - I'm sure you can't overlook the scaffolding that has reappeared. Tamara has drawn a wonderful design that will greet visitors and neighbors alike. It will be repeated, on a smaller scale, in the back & on both sides. The design may not be apparent for awhile - the goal at this point is getting the roof decking on so the roof can be installed.

Greg worked on the "weird roof" today. It's interesting to say the least, but it will be a great little room at some point for TV watching or book reading at the dormer's window seat.

Picked out the stain colors today for 523. I think it will be a wonderful neutral background for the colorful flowers that seem to flourish everywhere in this town.

This is Rhody Week in PT. It's the 75th Rhododendron Festival and the festivities start Wednesday and continue until Sunday with the Rhody Run. I thought it would be a big draw for the B&Bs, but was told that while many people come for it, few stay overnight with the exception of those who come for the run. It's apparently the last big festival before tourist season starts. Since I've never been here in the summer - I knew what it looked like from the "Chamber of Commerce" photos - this is all new to me. Hopefully, I'll take some decent Rhody photos to share.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lili...Jacqueline said I just *had* to "meet" you and she was right! Welcome to the NW! I live right across the water from you, just outside of Edmonds! We are just finishing the building of our "cottage"...it's been quite the ride! So excited for you...love PT! xo Jessica~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jessica!
    Your new home is wonderful! I've just scanned your blog & will go back for a more thorough read later (you will LOVE your Totos!)

    I'm simply in love with this area! Have you lived in WA long?

    Hopefully, at some point we can see each other's creation - and I hope to get Jackie & Victoria over here as well. We might just have to have a get together & tour! Sounds wonderful to me!

    Will look forward to keeping up with your home as well. Ah....Washington!

    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today was an "Ah...Washington" day wasn't it, just beautiful!

    I moved here from Los Angeles in 83' and it took me about a year before I truly started appreciating the beauty that surrounded me, I was to distracted by the cooler weather! Now I love it, Washington is my home and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

    Thanks for "visiting"...and a real visit/tour in the future sounds like a grand idea! Nice to hear good things about the Toto's too!

    Have you built a house before?
    J~

    ReplyDelete
  4. First home built from "scratch". Have done numerous extensive remodels, but this is a new experience (got to get back to Dallas for some more hair color to cover these new grey hairs!)

    You?

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time also...quite the adventure! I think I've had a few (or more) gray hairs added as well! The stories will be told for years...

    ReplyDelete