Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Monday, March 1, 2010

1st Foundation Pour


Today was a red letter day for 523. The first phase of the foundation was poured! I ran over to Sequim this morning to return samples, visit the "boxes" & check on fireplace materials. Lovely partly sunny morning and we apparently hit 59 today as well. Somehow, we got to discussing the sunlight in PT and the guys told me that in the summer, it stays light until about 9:30pm after a 4:30am'ish sunrise! It was the time of the sunrise that totally amazed me. That's a lot of daylight to get things accomplished - gardening, walking, visiting, etc. However, it makes the drive-in movie start quite late. Yes, there's a drive-in movie in PT! Apparently not much has changed since the 50s and it's still a place families (and teenagers!) go. I'm sure I'll eagerly try it if any kids (and their brave parents/grandparents) come up this summer.

Around 1:00 the first of two cement trucks pulled up. The pumpers, Paul & his son Ryan, were waiting and already prepared for them. I have to brag here on Ryan, Paul's son. I've rarely seen a young man so responsible in the past few years. He, his father and the guys worked with military precision - Paul & Ryan filling the forms & the guys smoothing out the freshly deposited cement. Mark's son, Erik, (sorry for the earlier misspelling!) joined us briefly after school and made an imprint of his hands in the wet goo. Pete had earlier told me that an old custom was to put some coins in the foundation so you'd never be without money. So I put one of each in the fireplace area as that is where so much money will be burned up!

I'm attaching a photo of the finished product. It's just amazing for me to watch - I hope you're enjoying it as well!

1 comment:

  1. Lii..so enjoying it...and how wonderful those coins will sit in the foundation of your fireplace!

    ReplyDelete