Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Quilcene Trek



Lots accomplished today!

Health insurance? At least fairly well understood now after an appointment with a local broker.

Fireplace? I followed Pete over to Loren's by Quilcene. Pete had always told me he had a gorgeous daily drive from his home in Quilcene over to PT. I'd see a chunk of that route while traveling to Sequim, but had not seen the segment from Fat Smitty's east (I THINK it's east!) Today I saw it & absolutely understand what Pete has been talking about. Oh, that everyone could have such a commute - there would be a lot less road rage! I had to stop & take a photo of Discovery Bay from the OTHER side of the bay as last Saturday's photo. This is from the stretch from PT to Fat Smitty's.

Loren has an incredible workshop next to his house by Lake Leland/Leland Lake (got to check on which is correct!) But to get to that workshop, you have to get by his pooches. Pete, of course, drove steadily past them. I, being the "Nervous Nellie" about hitting one of them, slowed to the point that the little one (a Cairn Terrier mix?) plopped herself right in front of my car. The German Shepard (who apparently gently uses the Cairn Terrier as a chew toy - with the Cairn's "permission") was close by. As Pete had gone ahead, I had to call him on his cell to come break the log jam on the road. The dogs know Pete & gladly scampered over to him or else I'd probably still be sitting there since I didn't know the German Shepard was gentle when I first drove up. My pants show the closeness we later shared..

Loren is making the firebox at his workshop rather than on the job and I wanted to see the herringbone pattern with the four firebrick colors I'd chosen. It is going to be FABULOUS. By this time next week, it sounds like it will be installed.

Doors & windows? From Loren's I stopped by Groves to OK the doors & windows. I was so proud of myself! I took a "back way" to get there - I'm starting to learn them! In Dallas, I would not know my way around had it not been for Barbara. She was born there & knew every back way to get anywhere, which she shared with me. We used to joke that we also knew all the filling stations with the fastest pumps in town!

Today's 523 photo shows even more beams, plywood sheathing & joists. By next week, the second floor will be taking shape! Can't wait!

P.S. Forgot to report yesterday that I now have my WA driver's license. Another huge checkmark on the to-do list!

No comments:

Post a Comment