Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Saturday, March 20, 2010

A FULL 24 Hours




Most of you know that I'm a night owl. Well, it kicked in last night - just wasn't sleepy at 3:00, so I decided that I would just stay up until daybreak and finally see a PT sunrise. I actually got alot done - picked out a refrigerator, think I know what kind of WA health insurance I'll get later in the year (you need a graduate degree in statistics to figure it out!), and caught up on articles I'd bookmarked in the past to read when it was quiet. At 7:05am I was out the door (and into the car since it was in the low 30s) and off to the bluff area to take the first one of today's photos. It WAS incredibly stunning to see! I think you'll agree.

I planned on going to Sequim today for their Garden Show and hitting all the usual big boxes while there. As I got into the car, a seagull sounded like it was just above me and it was QUITE "talkative"! He almost was right above me - he was just across the street. I've included a photo of the neighborhood alarm clock as well...

I stopped at Home Depot to pick up samples to match for colors, then drove down to Port Angeles (where the ferry leaves for Victoria on Vancouver Island, B.C.) on a fruitless mission to find accent brick, then back to Sequim for Costco. I don't think I have to explain a Costco mission to anyone, particularly the women. BUT, when I left I couldn't believe what I saw in the distance. In the Costco gasoline photo, look just below the word "gasoline" and you'll see Mt. Baker. It is not as striking in this photo as it was in reality, but it was such a shock to see it. I just get my bearings in PT and then I'm totally thrown off by Sequim. I had to ask a couple in the parking lot which mountain it was. From there I finally got to the Garden Show. HOW FRUSTRATING! Since the shingles on 523 won't be stained until after a "season" up (this summer), I won't be planting until that process is complete as I don't want the plants to have stain accidentally dripped on them. While Dallas & PT are in the same horticultural "zone", the plants are quite different up here. When I left the show, I had a handful of business cards with contact numbers for the fall, which is always the best time to plant anyway. One woman has a peony farm! I was thrilled to see her as I've always given peonies the old college try, but they never excelled as I remembered them just 200 miles north of Dallas. So I know where I'll be on a September weekend... Martine - you need to plan a trip here then!

Needless to say, I'm out of energy & will now crash! The only thing that got me back to PT was a gorgeous drive with Sting singing full blast! I guess some things never change...

2 comments:

  1. Stunning sunrise Lili...you and I would see it from different perspectives though, I would be happy to get up to wait for it. Definitely not a night owl!
    I love the sound of seagulls! I think they speak to some primordial part of me. I know they are dirty, messy scavengers and some people find their shrill screech irritating, but not me. Perhaps it's because they signify the nearness of water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I WISH I was an happy early riser! For 3 years I got by on 4 hours sleep when I was driving every school day - year around - working on my degree/masters. Then I was AT SCHOOL at 6:30 every morning when I taught. So I'm capable of doing it - it's just a painful process (until I'm up!) But I'm going to work on that once I get settled... And I totally agree with you about the seagulls' talking. I love it - on quiet mornings, I miss it! One of the guys told me they drop shellfish from above to crack their housing so as to eat them. I can deal with poop on the car - just don't want any big dents from a falling clam! I'm off to your blog which I look forward to each day!

    ReplyDelete