Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Chimney Starts


I made a very quick stop at 523 this morning before heading to Seattle. What a bustle of activity! The guys were continuing their work on the wall forms & I saw some vents added since yesterday.

Also, Loren was there with his helper (who dodged today's photo) starting the chimney's construction. The fireplace will be a Rumford, which I'd never heard of prior to moving here. They apparently were common in the late 1700's and continue to be energy-efficient to this day. They don't look like a "normal" fireplace - they're quite shallow. Since there can be major seismic activity in the Pacific Northwest, there will be steel rebar added at each successive layer as the chimney rises from its foundation. I don't know if that is the norm in Texas, but it makes me feel more assured of the chimney's strength. I'll post photos as it "blossoms"...

Sam came up for the weekend prior to going to CA to play golf in a member-guest with his brother. I imagine we'll see several movies (already started tonight with "The Messenger"), play tourist & squeeze in a few 523-related errands.

We'll see tomorrow what happened after I left this morning. Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Excited to hear that Sam came up for visit! 523 really is rolling along nicely....can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete