Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Drainage IS Necessary, Even If Not Exciting!



I left this morning at 11:00 for OJ with Nancy and didn't get back until after 3:00. Wish I could report that I was moving my feet all those hours but we had a long visit at Undertown, a wonderful coffee shop underneath downtown PT. I just try to tell myself whenever I'm there that this isn't the day that "The Big Rumbler" (as I refer to it) is coming.

I continue to be fascinated with all that I notice while out on foot. I'm including a photo from the sidewalk just yards from 523 - the moss-filled name of our street. I've since noticed more of these indented letters in the Uptown area, but this one is the only one (so far) that is moss-filled, making it stand out & therefore, so much easier to read. These are all of the same font and it makes me wonder if there was a "stimulus package" years ago that covered this feature. WPA? I noticed that there are new metal numbers in some of the sidewalks elsewhere in downtown & have decided I'll be adding some when the sidewalk is repaired out front of 523. I love moss - even crawled out of a window at the house I rented in the Cotswolds to bring "mounds" of it back from the roof. Unfortunately, it didn't like Texas's scorching heat & later wilted & died. I plan to have moss growing between the flagstones that will make up the terrace in the back garden. Wonder where I got this thing about MOSS?

Today's progress will be difficult for you to see. Jeff & Mike, from Centerline, were back with their huge "toys" to install the drainage system around the foundation and to partially fill the garage floor area. After the slotted drainage pipes are laid, they are covered with a fiber membrane to keep debris out. Then they are topped with the PVX piping that will take the gutters' rain away from the house itself. At that point, they are covered to the spot on the side of the foundation that has been predetermined by code. Jeff & Mike should be finished tomorrow and then look out!

1 comment:

  1. This house is really moving along! Love the moss and the street name filled with moss.

    ReplyDelete