Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Quiet Sunday


One less hour sleep. Need I say more?

Today saw the least amount of activity on my part since I got here. Devoured the Seattle Times & the Peninsula Daily News and have come to the conclusion that the PDN is quite a good newspaper - particularly in view of the fact that it serves such a small population in comparison to the Seattle Times. It's still odd to not start the day with a LONG read of the Dallas Morning News. I had no idea what a fine newspaper the DMN is. The Seattle Times is a good paper, but it doesn't have the depth of reporting & features. BUT I have to take into consideration the size of the populations they serve. Something I'm not sure about is the overall size of the Seattle-Tacoma area and everything around & between. It's much like the situation in Dallas-Fort Worth & the "Metroplex" (gad, I disliked that term!) OK - I had to stop & go research this. The Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) in 2008 (most recent figures) had a population of 6,300,000 while the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue MSA had a population of 3,344,000. That's MUCH larger than I thought the SeaTac area was! Will have to think a bit longer about cutting the Seattle Times such slack.

Today's photo is an "archived" photo. It's of the wonderful Sweet Laurette's in Uptown on Lawrence (Uptown's "main drag"). It's approximately 2 blocks from 523 which may mean trouble in the future! It's a lovely combination bakery-cafe and a local favorite which means lines.

It was strange that there were no pooches outside waiting for their humans when I took this photo. Dogs are just such a presence in PT. This morning when I was on Haines, I looked up and a man on a bicycle had a "platform" attached behind with his gorgeous golden-colored dog which resembled a Huskie (can they be a golden color?) standing majestically on the platform, a la Cleopatra, being hauled around the water's edge. Do dogs have this figured out or what? No walking for this guy/gal. Unfortunately I only had my iPhone & he was too far away to get a clear photo but I laughed so hard that those seeing me must have thought I was ready for the looney bin. Dogs ARE loved & catered to here!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend. I can't wait to see the changes that will come to pass at 523 this week. I've heard we should be "out of the dirt" - a huge milestone, apparently. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to meet you there for coffee and newspapers one Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO looking forward to that visit! You must bring Victoria as well as she's a "neighbor"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlfriend I LOVE you BUT you want your big city Tejas newspaper... get it sent or stay there. And remember why you are choosing the AWESOME NW. reread one of your last emails to us!!!
    Hugs ... honest !

    ReplyDelete