Port Townsend

Port Townsend
With credit to the fabulous unknown photographer - it certainly wasn't me!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Floor Joists In!


What a DAY! Since my iPhone "weather station" told me it was 58 degrees outside, I decided it was THE day to get my walking shoes on. So away I went the whopping 3 1/2 blocks to 523 on foot. What a glorious day it was & such a mix of weather. I stopped by 523 to visit with the guys and was amazed they were 3/4 through with the floor joists already. There's much more to it than just laying those huge pieces of lumber across the span of the rooms/areas. From there, I hoofed it over to the post office enjoying the view you just don't get from the car. I think the car's days of being the preferred mode of transportation in Uptown are over. Stopped back by 523 on the way back & felt a few drops of rain as the sky was getting a tad ominous so I headed back to base. By the time I walked in the door, the wind had picked up quite a bit. This afternoon, while doing my "homework", I kept hearing the wind outside. But I had NO IDEA, until I went downtown to pay the electric bill in person (when was the last time you did that?), what a "gale" we had going (remember - I'm a recently transplanted "Texan" and we didn't have deep waters off the "coast of Dallas" so this is all still new to me!) By the time I came out of PSE, the winds were so high downtown that if I hadn't quickly gotten my leg into the car, the wind-pushed door would have severely damaged it, if not broken it. The slam of the door was about the loudest I've ever heard. I then went up to 523 to take today's photo & was amazed at the difference in the wind levels. While not tame, Uptown's winds were materially lower.

Today's photo shows the end of the day's progress. ALL the joists are now in & Pete said they'll probably get the plywood decking done tomorrow.

NOAA, my "official" weather station, says the winds are only 36 MPH. If you had asked me, I'd say closer to 45-50. If this is 36, I'd "like" to see the 120 MPH winds that took down the Hood Canal Bridge in the 70's. I can't even imagine...

No comments:

Post a Comment